Date:      Sat, 6 Jun 1998 13:12:49 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <dyson@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        straka@home.com (Richard S. Straka)
Cc:        bde@zeta.org.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: strange behavior with signal latencies

Richard S. Straka said:

> BTW, these latancy times really go out the window (10+ms ) when
> the system is loaded with disk writing or network activity.  I have performed
> similar tests on an Ultra 30 box running Solaris 2.6.  Even under extreme
> soft
> realtime).  It appears that Solaris does very little work in hardware
> interrupts,
> defering work to preemtable kernel threads which are under control of the
> scheduler.  They offer a realtime scheduling class which has higher priority
> than their system scheduling class. The amount of work we currently do in
> FreeBSD in hardware and software interrupts coupled with the
> non-preemtable nature of kernel activity precludes us from doing even
> soft realtime work.

I would *love* to be able to support such a scheme, without a performance
hit.  Where an improvement (in overall performance) might be seen is
in the SMP world, or where you need realtime.  We will soon have much
of the low level support for such a scheme (except for the interrupt
handling methods.)   I can guess that *someday* it will be reasonable for
us to do that, but we tend to be evolutionary rather than revolutionary
in our movements.

I have been thinking in the background of a reasonable realtime scheme.