Date:      Wed, 07 Jun 2000 13:08:19 -0400
From:      Nathan Vidican <webmaster@wmptl.com>
To:        "B. Randall Ivy" <adamivy@ucc.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Information please

> "B. Randall Ivy" wrote:
>
> To whom it may concern:
>
> I want to download FreeBSD, but going through the different releases
> has left me dazed and confused.  All I want is a stable release of
> UNIX so that I can learn the basics of the OS.  I'm not interested
> (and not capable at this point) of sorting out complications of a
> "bleeding-
> edge" release. I will be running FreeBSD on a Pentium
> 233 with 128mb RAM with 6gb
> of hard drive space. Which release is the most generic and stable with
> minimal bugs or glitches?
>
> Thank you,
> B. Randall Ivy

4.0-STABLE would be the newest STABLE release, see the errata for 'bugs
or glitches' information; typically a newer release has less bugs as
they are fixed if known.
	FYI - FreeBSD is a fairly easy system to start off working with, and
chances are after you start off working with FreeBSD, it'll be really
hard for someone to sell you on any other UNIX o/s.

--
Nathan Vidican
webmaster@wmptl.com