Date:      Sat, 03 May 2008 18:07:08 +0300
From:      Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
To:        Gilles <gilles.ganault@free.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [6.3] Keeping host up to date

Gilles wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have some newbie questions:
>
> 1. Am I right in understanding that running "make ; make install" in
> /usr/ports/ turns the port into a package, so that when I run
> "pkg_info", it doesn't make any difference whether a package was
> downloaded directly from the Net or compiled locally through the Ports
> collection?

When you compile a port, a package is created and installed (but you get
to select the options. Pre-built packages have the default options and
are usually older versions). In fact, you can even use the ports to
create packages and install them on other systems. (See man ports)
> 2. When I run "pkg_version -v", some of the packages are out of date.
> Generally speaking, what is the safe way to update a package? I'm
> worried about compiling a new version of a ports that will break the
> one I already have up and running.

There are programs to automate and safeguard the upgrade. Look at
ports-mgmt/portupgrade
> 3. Do I really need to run both "csup standard-supfile ; csup
> ports-supfile" to update my ports collection? What's the difference
> between the two?
>
> Thank you.

No. You just need the ports-supfile. The standard supfile is for the
base system. Assuming you are running a -RELEASE version of FreeBSD and
you just want to get the latest security fixes and patches for the base
system, you only need to use the freebsd-update utility. It is as simple
as this:

freebsd-update fetch
freebsd-update install