Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:18:52 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <freebsd@jdc.parodius.com>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: BETA3 showstoppers (read: critical bugs)

I can confirm Brandon's comments (re: 802.3 speed/duplex negotiation not
working properly with Cisco equipment).  At Best, we had to force duplex
and speed on both our Catalysts and our BSD boxes, otherwise, mysterious
problems would occur (slow transfer rates in one direction, input or
output errors, etc.).  I'm sure Matt Dillon can attest to this as well.

I highly doubt it's specific to the xl driver, or even 3Com cards, since
4-5 months ago I had such issues connecting a Catalyst to an HP ProCurve
switch -- again, had to force the speed and duplex on both ends.  I think
this is a pretty "historic" problem with Cisco equipment.  Look around
the Web and you'll see what I mean.

The procedure, if I remember right:

Cat> set port x/y speed 100
Cat> set port x/y duplex full
Cat> set port disable x/y

BSD> ifconfig xl0 ... media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex
BSD> [see note]

Cat> set port enable x/y

NOTE: Occasionally I'd also see this procedure fail until the BSD box was
actually *rebooted*.  This problem always eluded me, but may have
changed severely since the days of 2.2.8 ( :) ).

| Making life hard for others since 1977.                             |