Date:      08 Nov 2000 19:12:06 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
Cc:        jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com (Jordan Hubbard), bright@wintelcom.net (Alfred Perlstein), chat@FreeBSD.ORG, jkh@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: fortune candidate from #FreeBSD on EFNet

Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com> writes:
> The basis of the joke required people to complete an _English_
> phrase in their mind to make the association.  I maintain that
> the joke is anglocentric.

This is absolute, complete, utter, first-rate US-centric bullshit.
"The Lord works in mysterious ways" (independently of the rest of your
quote) is a colloquial expression in France and Norway, and probably
in other european countries as well. Jordan is hardly a statistically
representative cross-section of the FreeBSD community.

I'm tempted to theorise that the phrase did not originate with the
book you quoted, but rather that its author used an expression his
readers were already familiar with.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org