Date:      Wed, 28 Dec 2005 12:48:03 +0000
From:      "Mike Esquardez" <mikeala3@hotmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Gnokii SMSD and Ports Help

Hello everybody. I am trying to work out how to install SMSD from ports and
not having much luck. I'm jut learning FreeBSD, so my knowledge of ports is
not very good. When I make, make install, it only installs Gnokii. After
looking around I found the file
/usr/ports/comms/gnokii/files/patch-smsd-Makefile and also README under
/work/smsd. I am totally lost and confused. Google has proved not so good
for this issue.

COMPILATION

SMSD is not compiled by default with gnokii 'make' command. You must compile
it
manually by typing 'make' in smsd directory. But before SMSD compilation
you must right configure gnokii (autoconf, configure).

For example:
(in gnokii directory)
gettextize                # only for CVS copies
autoconf                  # only for CVS copies
autoheader                # only for CVS copies
./configure
[ If you use latest Red Hat with new (0.11) gettext version ]
[ run autogen.sh with configure options instead of the      ]
[ above commands. It will do all needed things.             ]
cd smsd
vi Makefile (edit paths in "DB Modules" section)
make
make libpq.la OR make libmysql.la OR make libfile.la
make install

Note that you can build all of the modules (libpq, libmysql and libfile) but
you should use just one.

I have installed RPM and Debs before, but I've never had to do anything
other than make, make install.  Can anyone be so kind enough to explain what
the above instructions mean? And what the
"/usr/ports/comms/gnokii/files/patch-smsd-Makefile" file is for and how to
use it?

Thank you very much for any help and teaching. Mik