Date:      Tue, 07 Aug 2001 15:23:16 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        tlambert2@mindspring.com
Cc:        j mckitrick <jcm@FreeBSD-uk.eu.org>, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How did the MSFT monopoly start?

At 01:29 AM 8/7/2001, Terry Lambert wrote:

>IBM attempted several times to contact Digital Research
>about licensing CP/M, but they never returned IBM's calls,

Actually, they did. In fact, IBM came to visit. But DRI
founder Gary Killdall left his significant other in
charge that day.... She freaked out about signing the
NDAs regarding IBM's PC business and sent them away.

Gary never got a second chance at fame or fortune, even
when it was revealed that parts of MS-DOS 1.0 were
direct translations of code from CP/M.

>and then their founder died.

Many years after that. It happened in 1979, and Kildall
died in 1995. He died relatively young, at 52. From
complications following a fight in a bar.

--Brett

"I may have invented it, but Microsoft made it popular."

                 --IBM engineer David Bradley, inventor
                   of the Ctrl-Alt-Delete key sequence