Date:      Thu, 19 Jun 2003 09:45:33 +0200
From:      Eirik Oeverby <ltning@anduin.net>
To:        Stijn Hoop <stijn@win.tue.nl>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ACPI issues on ThinkPad T21 + Dock

Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 19, 2003 at 09:33:41AM +0200, Eirik Oeverby wrote:
>
>>- When booted with ACPI enabled (docked), the machine will at some point
>>simply power itself off. I have seen people complaining about similiar
>>machines powering themselves *on* after a power-off, but in my case it's
>>the opposite. Out of nothing, with no warning (that I can see), it
>>simply powers off. It's not suspend either, or hibernation or anything.
>

> Just a shot in the dark, but might it be heat? Most laptops/PCs
> turn themselves off to prevent them from overheating. Maybe ACPI doesn't
> turn on the fans when docked or something like that.

Nope, since this never happened before 5.1. I've been running 4.8 and
OS/2 on this machine before, always docked, and temperature was never an
issue. It's possible that ACPI in 5.1 does this - after all it has some
kind of thermal support, but I have tried to disable this and it makes
no difference.
Just to be on the safe side, would the following line in device.hints be
correct for disabling the thermal part of acpi?
debug.acpi.disable="thermal"
I think it would be, because replacing "thermal" with "children" made my
system refuse to boot. No HW was detected ;)

/Eirik