Date:      Thu, 8 Apr 2010 17:05:12 -0400
From:      mikel king <mikel.king@olivent.com>
To:        "Gary Dunn" <osp@aloha.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Does NAT require DNS (named)?

On Apr 8, 2010, at 4:57 PM, Gary Dunn wrote:

> Continuing the saga of building a wireless access point, what is the
> best way to provide DNS service to the dowstream network? Seems like
> all I need is a simple pass-through. For that named seems like
> overkill. Anyone have an /etc/named/named.conf that does that?
>

> --
> Gary Dunn, Honolulu
> osp@aloha.com
> http://openslate.net/
> http://e9erust.blogspot.com/
> Sent from a Newton 2100 via Mail V

Depends on how your internal LAN is configured. Generally if there are
no internal servers then you can forgo deploying a DNS server. Simply
setup your firewall IPFW or pf or whatever you are using to allow
clients to go out to the net and look names up. You will likely need a
dhcp server though so that your wireless clients can auto-discover the
appropriate network settings, but you can elect to do that manually as
well if it's your desire.

Regards,
Mikel King
CEO, Olivent Technologies