Date:      Mon, 9 Feb 1998 09:16:44 +0100
From:      Eivind Eklund <eivind@yes.no>
To:        Michael Hancock <michaelh@cet.co.jp>
Cc:        Eivind Eklund <eivind@FreeBSD.ORG>, FreeBSD Hackers <Hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DIAGNOSTICS and DEBUG LOGGING (was Re: cvs commit: src/sys/conf options)

On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 04:27:14PM +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> On Mon, 9 Feb 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
>
> > On Mon, Feb 09, 1998 at 03:23:45PM +0900, Michael Hancock wrote:
> > > Eivind,
> > >
> > > I'd like to see "sanity checks" (assertions) and diagnostic logging
> > > separated.  DIAGNOSTICS turns on both, but I'd like to be able to run an
> > > assertion checking kernel without all the logging.
> >
> > Absolutely agreed.  I was thinking of
> >
> > _ASSERTS	- Enable precondition and other cheap assertions
> > _INVARIANTS	- Enable invariant/postcondition checking (expensive)
> > INVARIANT_CODE	- Compile in invariant functions.
>
> So we have 3 levels of "sanity checking" with increasing levels of cost.
> I like it, it's a good fit to how people want to use assertions in
> practice.

Just to make this perfectly clear (I'm not certain if you got my
meaning or not):

Enabling INVARIANT_CODE will not add _any_ checks to the kernel.
Instead, it will add the code that is necessary to enable any checks
at will.  If INVARIANT_CODE is defined for the entire kernel, then
_ASSERTS or _INVARIANTS can be defined for any single file without any
compilation trouble, even if _ASSERTS/_INVARIANTS isn't enabled for
any other file.

Eivind.