Date:      Sun, 22 Apr 2001 11:36:08 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Zhihui Zhang <zzhang@cs.binghamton.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Questions on shared memory

I found out by chance that after I started X windows (Gnome+Enlightment),
there will be a lot of shared memory created:

Shared Memory:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP
m 196608          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel
m 131073          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel
m 131074          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel
m 131075          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel

After I exit X-windows, there are still a couple of them:

Shared Memory:
T     ID     KEY        MODE       OWNER    GROUP
m 262144          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel
m 196634          0 --rwarwarwa     root    wheel

My questions are:

(1) On Redhat6.2, I am using X-windows (GNOME+Enlightment) as well.
But no shared memory exists as reported by ipcs command.  Why there can be
such a difference? Who is creating these large number of shared memory.

(2) The ipcs manual of FreeBSD is not completed. So I look at the manual
of SunOS.  It says:

  MODE (all)
               The facility access modes and flags: The mode con-
               sists  of  11  characters  that are interpreted as
               follows. The first two characters are:

               C         The associated shared memory segment  is
                         to  be  cleared when the first attach is
                         executed.

Does FreeBSD support this feature? If so, how to enable it? Thanks for
your help.

-Zhihui