Date:      Mon, 23 Jan 2006 00:18:40 +0100
From:      Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>
To:        FreeBSD Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Removing the dependency on unzip - use bsdtar

--VvnGyWaJ9JuxX38U

Hello folks,

Some days ago, I read that libarchive supports zip files as well.
Because bsdtar(1) also uses libarchive, you can extract a regular zip
file with it.

Because most current FreeBSD releases have bsdtar (and older versions
can use bsdtar from ports), I was experimenting with replacing the
ports' dep on unzip with bsdtar.

The result:

	http://g-rave.nl/junk/ports-and-bsdtar.diff

I already tested some random ports and it should already work with all
ports that only define USE_ZIP=3Dyes and do not tamper around with
UNZIP_CMD or EXTRACT_{BEFORE,AFTER}_ARGS.

I looked through the bsdtar manual page, but it has no option to unpack
text-files with UNIX-to-DOS newlines conversion, so I added
USE_DOS2UNIX=3Dyes to the quake3 port as a test.

Quite an amount of ports need patching to work properly with bsdtar
instead of unzip (different command arguments). I wouldn't mind spending
some time on it, if I could get some confirmation on beforehand that the
patch won't get trashed eventually.

Yours,
--=20
 Ed Schouten <ed@fxq.nl>