Date:      Thu, 25 Sep 1997 22:46:09 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Mark Kelly <kelly@cs.utk.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Can't Get FreeBSD 2.2.2 to Boot!

On Wed, 24 Sep 1997, Mark Kelly wrote:

>  I can't get FreeBSD 2.2.2 to boot.  I have gone thru the installation
> several times and get the same results.  I have used the novice, expert, and
> express installations and it doesn't seem to make a difference.
>
> My setup is as follows
> Drive 1 - 3.2 gig
>     with 2.2 gig Win95/NT partition    <-- PROBLEM
>     and 1.0 gig FreeBSD Partition

Okay, it appears that your Win95 partition is too big.  Most modern PC
BIOSes can only boot files in the first 500 megabytes of the boot disks.
Your machine is new enough that they should have fixed that bug, but
perhaps not.  What BIOS do you have and what revision is it?

> F1 - Windows 95   (Works Fine)
> F2- FreeBSD         (Freezes and doesn't say anything)
>
> Any Idea what I am doing wrong?  When I did the install  the first time and
> booted to FreeBSD it said "cannot read media" or something very similar.  I
> assumed this was because the disk geometry was wrong in the setup and I went
> back in and fixed it and reinstalled (several times now) and now it just
> freezes whenever I try to go into FreeBSD.

What happens if you boot a floppy and type at the Boot: prompt:

wd(0,a)/kernel

> I tried to boot with the fixit disk, but that didn't do any good either.  It
> tells me that it can't find the kernel.  Please help, this is driving me up
> the wall!!

For the fixit floppy, you have to boot the install floppy then select the
`fixit' option to use it.

Spam routed to /dev/null by Procmail    | Death to Cyberpromo