Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 21:35:12 -0600
From:      Dan Nelson <dnelson@allantgroup.com>
To:        craig@2400baud.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: DSBL Open Relay Removal

In the last episode (Dec 10), craig@2400baud.com said:
> All,
>
> I cannot seem for the life of me, to get a server removed from the
> DSBL (dsbl.org) open relay list.  Here's the short and skinny:
>
> DSBL will sends an email to abuse or postmaster @ the ip address of
> the server listed.  The current sendmail server rejects the attempts
> from DSBL to send an email to the account:
>
> Result: 12.158.17.27 does not like recipient.
> Remote host said: 550 5.7.1 <postmaster@[12.158.17.27]>... Relaying denied
> Giving up on 12.158.17.27.
>
> I stood up a FreeBSD server in its place to accept (or so I thought)
> emails to abuse or postmaster at the IP address and then send them
> onto my regular email address.  This /works/ when I send from a
> webmail account or a pop account to abuse@theserveripaddress.  But,
> when sending from DSBL, I still get the same error message.

Is there something unusual about your IP setup?  sendmail should accept
emails to users@[any local ip] without a problem.  All I can think is
that your mail server is behind a NAT of some sort and doesn't realize
the rest of the world expects it to be at 12.158.17.27.  Try putting
that IP in /etc/mail/local-host-names, but I don't know if sendmail
will accept IPs in that file.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson@allantgroup.com