Date:      Wed, 3 Jun 1998 10:24:14 -0400
From:      Robert Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
To:        leifn@internet.dk, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Purging popped mail

At 1:09 AM -0400 6/3/98, Leif Neland wrote:
>Does an utility exist which can remove read, but not removed mail after x
>days, and unread mail after y days?
>
>Just part of the mailfile, I don't want to remove the entire file.
>
>Users seem to leave more and more mail on the server, even if they have
>picked it up with pop3.

>From some recent discussions on one of the lists:
  Purgmbox helps implement mailbox aging and size policies.
  It rewrites one or more mailboxes, removing leading items that:
    - are older than a given age in days
    - are From a given ID
    - would cause the final mailbox to be larger than a given size
  It's safe to install as set-gid to mail.
  Normal usage is from a root (or mail!) cronjob:
    find /var/mail -type f | xargs /usr/local/bin/purgmbox -o60 -s500
  John Woodruff <jjw@us.net>

I suggest you contact John.  The only problem I have had with this program
is that some mail systems are too dumb to quote a "From " string in the
message body.

I may play around with the header parsing and some other informational
additions to this program.

---
Bob Beer <r-beer@onu.edu>
Ohio Northern University, Academic Computer Services, Ada, OH  45810