Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 11:23:09 -0700 (MST)
From:      John Reynolds~ <jreynold@sedona.ch.intel.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   hardware (was: What does "Voxware still supported in 4.0" mean exactly?)

[ On Thursday, March 23, Mike Smith wrote: ]
> > The following is not venom directed at jkh, or anybody in general--it is an
> > honest question/statement/opinion:
> >
> > Rather than having a user send Cameron Grant a Diamond Fusion Card, or any
> > other "bleeding edge" or "old 'n' crusty" sound card to play with, shouldn't
> > FreeBSD, Inc. or Walnut Creek itself be proactively shipping willing
> > developers like this all the hardware they can purchase? I know that it is
> > done, has been done, and will continue to be done--it just seems to me like
> > another appropriate time to spend <= $100US from the profits generated by CD
> > sales.
>
> What makes you think that we haven't?  The problem is simply that it's
> very hard to _buy_ a lot of these cards, and if someone already has one,
> asking them to send it to Cameron is a lot more effective than wasting a
> day of my or Bill Swingle's time trying to find the one yak repair shop
> and soundcard dealer in Outer Mongolia that still has one in stock,
> finding some way of paying them in goat's cheese and then having Ghengis
> Khan's last living relative stick the card into his yakskin bag and storm
> all the way across Europe to deliver it.
>
> At last count, I think we've bought, borrowed and cajoled about twenty or
> so cards and sent them off to Cameron.  I don't know what makes you think
> that we're _entirely_ stupid or greedy, especially since it's not like
> it's a secret or anything that we do this regularly.

JUST HOLD ON THERE TEX!!!!!!! The first line of my message was:

> > The following is not venom directed at jkh, or anybody in general--it is an

repeat: "not venom". Also read in my message that I said I *know* that it is
regularly done (buying hardware and shipping it to developers).

Read what I said, then post your comments. A more appropriate response would
have simply been "some older cards are harder to find, if you or anyone within
earshot of this message has one we could use or buy, please let us know so we
can continue our regular program of buying hardware for developers." Are there
posts to freebsd-multimedia/-hardware asking if people have these older items
they are willing to donate? Might save a trip to Outer Mongolia.

I do _not_ think that you are "entirely stupid or greedy." _I_ am not
completely stupid either, thank you, so please turn your ``you dumb____''
attitude and sarcasm down several notches ....