Date:      Fri, 22 Nov 2002 09:30:01 -0600
From:      "Mark Johnston" <mjohnston@skyweb.ca>
To:        "'Cliff Sarginson'" <cls@raggedclown.net>
Cc:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Current testing strategy - a request for information

Cliff Sarginson <cls@raggedclown.net> wrote:
> Hello,
> I intend to put a copy of CURRENT on my system, not as a
> replacement for
> -stable, but so I can run my typical things against it overnight and
> see if I can help uncover any problems.
>
> What I would like is a short list of what to do to make this useful.
> This does not need to be a HOWTO, I can find that out I think from
> existing sources, but a WHATTO, so that I don't miss anything
> that would
> make such an activity useless. So just a bullet point list will do.
>
> Maybe I should ask this is in current, but I expect some of
> you out there
> are doing this anyway.
>
> --
> Regards
>    Cliff Sarginson
>    The Netherlands

A good place to start is the release documentation for the 5.0-DP2
release.  In particular, I'm sure testing would be appreciated on the
"new since DP1" features mentioned at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/DP2/announce.html.  Other major new
parts to -CURRENT that will want much testing are at
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/DP2/early-adopter.html - check the
New Features section.  For a more exhaustive list of new features and
changes in -CURRENT, check
http://www.freebsd.org/releases/5.0R/DP2/relnotes-i386.html.  If you
plan to install -CURRENT you'll be expected to follow the -current list,
where you'll no doubt see more requests for testing new commits.

For updated versions of the documents above, you can keep an eye on
Bruce A. Mah's release notes snapshots (RELNOTESng) at
http://people.freebsd.org/~bmah/relnotes/.

Of course, to make the testing most useful for yourself, load it heavily
with the same kind of load you normally run, or better yet, the kind of
load you could be running a few years down the road.  You can probably
get better feedback on -current with your request, but this may give you
a start.

Thanks for testing -CURRENT!

-Mark