Date:      Thu, 5 Nov 1998 15:14:35 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "J. A. Landamore" <jal@mcs.le.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Bug in 3-0 RELEASE?

This is probably the wrong place to post this, but as I'm not on any of the
mailing lists, sorry but here goes.

There appears to be a problem with 3.0-RELEASE when trying to use NIS for user
login.
I have 3.0 installed set up as a nis client.  when I try and log in using the
nis account I get

Login Incorrect.

If I look at the traffic to the NIS master it is interrogating it correctly and
getting the correct reply.  If I log in as root and su to the user I get the
users filestore.  I get the correct maps with ypcat.  Local users can log in
fine.  I create a local user with the same shell and home as my remote user, he
can log in, put a + infront of the password entry to get it use a NIS map and he
cannot log in.  I _KNOW_ I'm typing in the correct password.
Any ideas?

Please mail directly to me at

jal@mcs.le.ac.uk

Many thanks

John Landamore			| Researchers have already cast much darkness |
Sys. Admin.			| on the subject, and if they continue their  |
				| investigations we shall soon know nothing   |
e-mail:	jal@mcs.le.ac.uk	| at all about it.			      |
				|		- Mark Twain -		      |

Phone: 	+44 (0)116 2523410
Fax: 	+44 (0)116 2523604