Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 2000 00:22:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Derrick Baumer <bduk@earthlink.net>
To:        tracker@worldy.com
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: how to set Freebsd boot bisk as secondary drive

> Using FreeBSD 3.4.0
> I have initially set up FreeBSD as my boot disk but now I have set DOS
> as my boot disk - and FreeBSD as my second.
> I installed bootinst on both drives.
>
> When booting from FreeBSD (throught boot manager) on the 2nd drive -
> I get config errors because boot wants to see wd0 not wd1.
> So I reset up my fstab file,
> changing the / mount from wd0s1a to wd1a (there is no wd1s1a in /dev).
>
> I did similar to the /usr,  /var and swap file systems.
>
> It still gives me an error that it does not recognize /dev/wd1a to do
> it's initial mount.
>
> I have looked at the boot procedure and I get the feeling it's having
> it's problem executing the command "fsck -p" located in /etc/rc.

I'm really just guessing, but doesn't the kernel config file say where
to expect root to be?  It's compiled into the kernel.  You probably
need to use some command line switches to get an initial boot; though,
to be honest, I'd be misleading you if I tried to tell you what they
were.  Once you get a good boot, you could recompile the kernel with
the proper boot device.  You sound more knowledgeable than I am.  Does
this help?

--
Derrick Baumer
bduk@earthlink.net