Date:      Thu, 6 Apr 95 22:45:58 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        babkin@hq.icb.chel.su (Serge A. Babkin)
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: large filesystems/multiple disks [RAID]

> Yes. But mirroring gives additional throughput increase for reading
> like stripping (and decrease for writing unlike it :-( ). But from
> my experience big databases are much more often read than written,
> aren't they ?

Yes, but I'd expect the agregate performance to stay about the same.

Large databases don't allow predictive read-ahead because they
typically can't be modelled using a model that assumes locality
of reference.

Unless your cache is significantly large relative to your database.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---
or previous employers.