Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 1999 10:55:04 -0500
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@mojave.sitaranetworks.com>
To:        johnmpurser@home.com, Sean Michael Whipkey <highway@cstone.net>, eng@cstone.net, freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD Quotation

On Wednesday, 10 November 1999 at  7:09:09 -0800, John Purser wrote:
> On  Tuesday, November 09, 1999 10:08 AM, Greg Lehey wrote:
>>
>> On Tuesday,  9 November 1999 at 12:51:17 -0500, Sean Michael Whipkey wrote:
>>> Begin quote:
>>> CBSMW: In your current company, Encanto, you don't use Microsoft's
>>> software. You're using a Linux-like software, right?
>>>
>>> Frankenberg: We are using an open-source software product; it's Free
>>> BSD, as opposed to Linux. Free BSD is a particular flavor of the Unix
>>> operating system. It does an exceptionally good job. The operating
>>> system is distributed for free. Those that write enhancements to it are
>>> required to make those available to everyone. This has resulted in a
>>> significant amount of innovations and new capabilities.

>> http://cbs.marketwatch.com/archive/19991108/news/current/soapbox.htx?source=blq/yhoo&dist=yhoo
>>>
>>> (Courtesy of /.)
>>>
>>> I'm not even going to go into how annoying that question sounds,
>>> though..."Linux-like" indeed.
>>
>> That's not the annoying part.  In the overall scheme of things,
>> FreeBSD *is* quite Linux-like.  But you are not required to make the
>> enhancements available to everybody.  That the big difference that he
>> appears not to understand.
>
> So, do we have anyone who wants to contact CBS and offer to walk them
> through FreeBSD's place in the Open Source universe or do we just sit and
> complain about how "They" got it wrong again?

It's not as simple as that.  I don't believe this one was CBS'
mistake, I thin that the quote was correct.  You're right, somebody
should take it up with the originator of the statement (the president
of Encanto IIRC), but I don't expect it to change much.  It's unlikely
that he and CBS will agree to change the report.

Greg
--
When replying to this message, please take care not to mutilate the
original text.