Date:      Thu, 24 Aug 1995 16:36:34 -0700
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Don's FList drop" <freelist@elf.kendall.mdcc.edu>
Cc:        Gary Palmer <gary@palmer.demon.co.uk>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Netsite communications server works Great

>On Thu, 24 Aug 1995, Gary Palmer wrote:
>
>> Hehe. Yeah, there seemed to be a lot of nice features which look nice,
>> and make nice bell & whistle sounds for you (ok, no sounds, but you
>> get the idea), but only a few had any real use past the installation
>> procedure, if at all.
>
>I don't see how this is only useful at install time. I add symlinks all
>the time. While we think it's dorky, there are plenty of people who would
>prefer to be able to do this kind of thing. There is also the standpoint
>that it is better to do this translation at the front end instead of at
>the filesystem level. Not _my_ standpoint, but a point none the less.

Both NCSA httpd 1.4 and Apache allow you to do this.  I don't like
symlinks either.  Our entire website is under CVS repository control
so all of the symlinks had to die.

Having source is also an important thing to consider.  You aren't even
eligible for updates or bug fixes with netscape unless you cough up an
extra $500 for "tech-support".  For an site that can get the software
for free, maybe these are not issues, but there alternatives to using
Netscape servers if you don't need encryption and from what I've seen,
the alternatives perform just as well and offer similar feature sets
save the HTML based configuration.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  Software Developer - Walnut Creek CDROM