Date:      Thu, 8 Aug 1996 11:39:51 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        amora@obelix.cica.es
Subject:   Re: troubles with vi in telnet session

> This may sound a very stupid question, but I am really stuck. I have installed
> FreeBSD 2.2 SNAP-960323 on a machine at work. To do something profitable I
> telnet to another system running Unixware. I run into trouble when try to
> edit any file with `vi(1)': it doesn't want to scroll the text and simply
> overwrites the new line at bottom. I have tried changing TERM, using new termcap
> entries from both the remote system and Linux, and messing with `vi' settings,
> but no luck. May I have missed any point?

I don't know Unixware, but with Linux, you have to make TERM=scoterm (if you
use the syscons driver) - well, maybe your Linux version has missing this
termcap/terminfo description).  With the other Unices, search for
description of SCO compatible console.  And of course, these description
have to be on the other machines, not on FB.  (If you use the pcvt driver,
it's more simple, use any vt220 termcap/terminfo description.)  With Linux,
I had so many problems with both vt100/vt220/xterm (when I went from console
mode, not from X).

--
	Gabor Zahemszky <zgabor@CoDe.hu>

Earth is the cradle of human sense, but you can't stay in the cradle forever.
						Tsiolkovsky