Date:      Sat, 1 Sep 2001 19:30:51 -0600
From:      Mike Porter <mupi@mknet.org>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Staroffice woes on 4.4 RC --SOLVED!!

(posting the solution here so it can go into the archives on the off chance
that somone else in the future might actually search the archives before
posting and find the answer to his question....)

It turns out that I had inadvertantly disabled the /proc mountpoint in
/etc/fstab.  The staroffice binaries REQUIRE (at least, the installation
binaries require; I'm in no mood to tinker now and find out if the actual
program binaries crash without /proc) procfs in the kernel, and a mounted
/proc, or you will fail.

Thanks to Martin Blapp, the port maintainer for pointing me in the right
direction on this.  ktrace/kdump showed me exactly where the problem was
occurring, and allowed me to see (more or less) what was going on.....

mike