Date:      Wed, 25 Feb 1998 09:15:03 -0800 (PST)
From:      Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET>
To:        Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav <dag-erli@ifi.uio.no>
Cc:        Satoshi Asami <asami@FreeBSD.ORG>, hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Intel Pentium Chipsets

On 25 Feb 1998, Dag-Erling Coidan Smørgrav wrote:

> Vincent Poy <vince@venus.GAIANET.NET> writes:
> > On Wed, 25 Feb 1998, Satoshi Asami wrote:
> > > Go to www.intel.com for Intel chipset datasheets.
> > 	I did and the link went to the development site.  It seems like
> > the datasheets have changed.  The ones a few months ago used to mention
> > the amount of cacheable ram but the new ones don't.
>
> Look harder, and keep in mind that for the Pentium II, it's not the
> chipset that determines the amount of cacheable memory, but the
> processor, since the L2 cache is located on the processor card.
>
> The datasheet for the 430HX chipset, for instance, has cacheability
> information in section 4.3 "Secondary Cache Interface", on page 35. It
> indicates that the HX chipset can support up to 512 MB of cached RAM
> when equipped with 11-bit tag chips.
>
> BTW, the datasheets I read were those listed on
> <http://developer.intel.com/design/pcisets/datashts/>.

	I think I know what I did wrong now.  Before, they used to have a
comparison chart or a summary of each chipset but now it's in .pdf so
that's why I couldn't find it.

Cheers,
Vince - vince@MCESTATE.COM - vince@GAIANET.NET           ________   __ ____
Unix Networking Operations - FreeBSD-Real Unix for Free / / / / |  / |[__  ]
GaiaNet Corporation - M & C Estate                     / / / /  | /  | __] ]
Beverly Hills, California USA 90210                   / / / / / |/ / | __] ]
HongKong Stars/Gravis UltraSound Mailing Lists Admin /_/_/_/_/|___/|_|[____]