Date:      Mon, 28 Jul 2008 07:01:46 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Unga <unga888@yahoo.com>
To:        Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
Cc:        ps@freebsd.org, brooks@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, jhb@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: undefined reference to SYS_cpuset

--- On Mon, 7/28/08, Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org> wrote:

> From: Daniel Eischen <deischen@freebsd.org>
> Subject: Re: undefined reference to SYS_cpuset
> To: "Unga" <unga888@yahoo.com>
> Cc: freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
> Date: Monday, July 28, 2008, 9:19 PM
> On Mon, 28 Jul 2008, Unga wrote:
>
> > Hi all
> >
> > Today (28th July) I upgraded the FreeBSD sources
> (/usr/src) using
> > cvsup and when try to compile a test C program I get
> following:
> >
> > echo 'main(){}' > dummy.c
> > cc dummy.c -v -Wl,--verbose
> >
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_cpuset_getaffinity'
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_cpuset'
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_cpuset_setaffinity'
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_cpuset_getid'
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_cpuset_setid'
> > /usr/lib/libc.so: undefined reference to
> `SYS_setfib'
> > collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> >
> > I can see in logs following programs compiled without
> any error:
> > cpuset_getaffinity.S
> > cpuset.S
> > cpuset_setaffinity.S
> > cpuset_getid.S
> > cpuset_setid.S
> > setfib.S
> >
> > What's gone wrong now? Am I in the middle of a
> FreeBSD update? or have
> > I made some mistake? or multiple routing tables update
> on 20080724
> > broken something? Any ideas?
>
> Did you build and install the kernel first?

I have compiled and installed **only** following to a separate location:
- FreeBSD Headers
- lib/csu
- lib/libc
- lib/msun
- lib/libc_r

And tested with a simple script whether I can compile and link against new libs successfully before I can proceed with my project. That test, as mentioned in the original post, failed to link against the new C libraries. That is, it looks to me, the libc is now broken.

Of course, the system I'm running is old, uname -a shows May 25. I don't think I have  to run the latest kernel for me to separately link against a different copy of libc, do I?

If there a fix or a patch, I can apply against the libc and let you guys know the result.

Unga