Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 12:15:23 -0600 (MDT)
From:      "Forrest W. Christian" <forrestc@imach.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   RAID/vinum options (mail server)

I'm needing to find a RAID solution for our mail server.

This is primarily for data integrity.   So the solution MUST be
robust.  In the past I've had raid controllers which freaked at loosing a
disk and refused to work with the array.  Needless to say I was pissed.

I am not opposed to vinum.   I would like to hear more about it's
restrictions specifically in regards to the boot partition (meaning can I
vinum a slice on the same disk as the root partition) and it's robustness
on disk failure.   The docs for vinum aren't too specific on this, unless
someone knows of some docs I don't know about.

Cost is an issue but not a really big one (Don't go suggesting a $10k
controller).  Performance is not really an issue.  A single IDE drive
(WD400BB UDMA66) is taking the load now just fine, although the peaks
(rare) are getting near the theoretical tps max.

Mainly I'm looking for experiences good and bad with different options.

Thanks for the info.

- Forrest W. Christian (forrestc@imach.com) AC7DE