Date:      Sun, 10 Dec 2017 09:35:10 -0800
From:      Ryan Root <rroot@rootautomation.com>
To:        Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Two problems about ASUS N3150I-C

Without more info it's likely going to be hard for anyone to help but both =
these symptoms you mention could be possibly related to processes that depe=
nd on the system clock not being messed with=2E=C2=A0 Some people these day=
s try to cheat on games and stuff like that by using hacks that mess with t=
he system clock=2E=C2=A0 Those symptoms you are observing could be a way of=
 your system letting you know it won't work right if you let apps mess with=
 the system clock=2E=C2=A0 Maybe not=2E=C2=A0 If others have the same mothe=
rboard and use the same Realtek NIC but are not having problems I'd guess i=
t's related programs on your system adjusting the system clock=2E=C2=A0 If =
that's not the case you may want to make sure ntp is working and maybe chos=
e a different ntp server=2E=C2=A0 Maybe it's something else=2E=C2=A0 You'll=
 likely be asked for more technical feedback from log files though if you w=
ant help with this issue=2E=C2=A0 You also could try disabling the onboard =
NIC and by a new NIC=2E

Ryan

=E2=81=A3Sent from BlueMail =E2=80=8B

On De=
c 10, 2017, 4:02 AM, at 4:02 AM, Yasuhiro KIMURA <yasu@utahime=2Eorg> wrote=
:
>Hello=2E
>
>I have two 11=2E1-RELEASE amd64 boxes working as my home ser=
vers=2E Their
>hardware spec are same and ASUS N3150I-C is used as motherbo=
ad=2E And
>there are two problems about it=2E
>
>1=2E 'shutdown -r now' doe=
sn't work after system has been up for a while

>If I try 'shutdown -r now=
' just after system is up or after few hours,
>it works as is expected=2E B=
ut, for example, if I try it after one week
>of uptime, then it doesn't wor=
k anymore=2E OS is shutdown successfully
>but reset never happens=2E I upda=
ted BIOS of motherboard to latest one
>but it didn't fix the problem=2E And=
 this problem happens on both boxes=2E

>2=2E NIC gets no response with 'r=
e0: watchdog timeout' kernel message

>Realtek RTL8111H is used as NIC of =
this motherboad=2E Sometime it gets
>no response after following kernel mes=
sages are displayed some times=2E

>Dec 10 01:11:37 maybe kernel: re0: wat=
chdog timeout
>Dec 10 01:11:37 maybe kernel: re0: link state changed to DOW=
>Dec 10 01:11:41 maybe kernel: re0: link state changed to UP
>
>If this h=
appens system need to be rebooted=2E It is very variable when
>NIC get this=
 status=2E Sometime it happens after few hours system is up,
>but sometimes=
 it doesn't happen after a month of uptime=2E And this
>problem happens onl=
y one of two boxes=2E One box is used for internal
>services and the other =
is used for external ones=2E The problem only
>happens on the latter=2E As =
is explaind above they have same hardware
>spec, but OS settings and/or ins=
talled applications are differnt=2E So
>it seems some of them specific to t=
he latter are cause of NIC hangup=2E

>Then, are there any way to fix thes=
e problems or investigate why they
>happens? Any suggestions or comments ar=
e welcome=2E