Date:      Sat, 28 Jan 2012 16:18:12 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Henry Olyer <henry.olyer@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: When I put up any version of FBSD I usually try to install Maxima. Which fails because the sub-install of gnuplot fails.

--XsQoSWH+UP9D9v3l

On Sat, Jan 28, 2012 at 02:57:02AM -0500, Henry Olyer wrote:
> When I put up any version of FBSD I usually try to install Maxima.  Which
> fails because the sub-install of gnuplot fails.
>=20
> I go to through various work-arounds, different things.
>=20
> But Saturday I will be installing 9.0 and would like to have a successful
> install.  Ideas?

Install gnuplot before maxima, so you can see why it goes wrong.=20

Use an empty make.conf in case you run into weird compilation problems.

The default build of gnuplot is quite heavy, pulling in wxwidgets and teTeX.
Personally, I would recommend the following settings: enable X11, GD, gridb=
ox,
thinsplines and cairo, and disable the rest; pdflib didn't work last time I
tried it. WXwidgets is overkill IMO, the standard X11 support works fine. A=
nd
teTeX is deprecated upstream in favor of TeXLive.

I've been using gnuplot like this without problems for years, on i386 and a=
md64.

Hope this helps.

Roland
--=20