Date:      Mon, 24 Sep 2001 15:33:12 -0700
From:      "Bruce A. Mah" <bmah@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Stephane.Legrand@bigfoot.com
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.ORG, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: About the new HTML files in www/en/releases/4.4R/

--==_Exmh_1637110816P

If memory serves me right, Stephane Legrand wrote:

> Some remarks about these new files :
>
> - the version numbers are different from the usual ones.
>   For instance, in errata.html, it is :
>
>   "$FreeBSD: src/release/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/errata/article.sgml,v 1.1.2.27
>   2001/09/23 22:57:48 bmah Exp $"
>
>   instead of something like
>
>   "$FreeBSD: www/en/releases/4.4R/errata.html,v 1.2
>   2001/09/23 22:57:48 bmah Exp $"
>
>   Why ??

I turned off keyword substitution for these files in CVS.  The html
files in www/en/ releases/4.4R/ were generated from SGML files, and I
thought it best to leave the ID strings intact so that people can see
where the content came from (and what revision).  Otherwise this
information gets spammed with the date the generated HTML file was
updated in the repository. Although the dates will bear a strong
resemblance, the version numbers don't, and I bet I'd get a bunch of
questions as to why the version numbers on the Web site don't match
those in the RELNOTESng snapshots.

> - the fact that the HTML files are no more generated makes difficult
> any design changes. For instance, i can't add a navigation bar in
> these pages without directly modifying the files. With SGML, the
> &header; entity allows this without any change in the original
> file. Any chance to revert to SGML format ?

I found the old method (drop ASCII text in the middle of SGML) to be
extremely inconvenient for updating the errata.  I'm open to
alternatives that don't make me do this.

My goal for the release documents was to provide, verbatim, the same
files that live in the distribution, in order to minimize confusion when
people happen to see copies of the same document coming from multiple
sources.

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_1637110816P

--==_Exmh_1637110816P--