Date:      Sat, 14 Jan 2006 20:52:45 -0800
From:      Micah <micahjon@ywave.com>
To:        Frank Staals <frankstaals@gmx.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Mail filtering at server

Frank Staals wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm running FreeBSD 5-stable and I'm using the system as mailserver, so
> I set up sendmail using this guide:
> http://www.puresimplicity.net/~hemi/freebsd/sendmail.html as imap server
> I'm using imap-uw. Now I would like to do the following:
>
> 1) I would like to get all mail from questions@freebsd.org in a seperate
> directory. Currently I do this by filtering my mail in the mailclient (
> Thunderbird ). The directory it uses for this is currently
> ~/mail/Questions/ so I would like to keep that, how can I do this ? Can
> I add this to /etc/mail/access ? what would then be the syntax ?

I actually switched from IMAP-UW (ironic because I'm a UW student) to
Cyrus-IMAP to manage my personal email. Cyrus has a built in filtering
language called Sieve which works really well for moving my list and RSS
feeds into proper IMAP folders.
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail.html
seems to suggest procmail can do this too.

> 2) I would also like to filter my mail for spam, again: currently I set
> up thunderbird to do this: the mail marked as spam/junk dissapears into
> the junk folder: ( ~/mail/junk ) What is the best way to set this up ?
> can this be done by sendmail itself or should I install an other program
> from the portstree

I actually haven't tackled this one yet. Try looking through
http://www.freebsd.org/ports/index.html with a keyword of spam.

HTH,
Micah