Date:      Tue, 31 Jan 2006 17:22:49 -0600
From:      Kevin Kinsey <kdk@daleco.biz>
To:        =?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Alvaro_J=2E_Gurdi=E1n=22?= <AJGurdian@lanoticia.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Questions Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Proper FreeBSD installation practices

Alvaro J. Gurdián wrote:

> I used sysinstall to look for it: the chose
> configure->packages->ftp->main site->package selection->DNS
> in there I saw several versions of BIND but 9.3.1 was the newest.
>
> What am I doing wrong?  I chose FTP to try to get the most up to date
> info....what happened?
>
> I see 9.3.2 on Fresh ports, why not thru sysinstall?

sysinstall looks for pre-compiled packages; I don't know if packages
have been built that include this version of BIND; someone else probably
does, or can take time to investigate.

However, even more telling on this issue:  sysinstall uses a
$RELEASENAME variable (correct name??) to look specifically
for packages that match the version of FreeBSD that you have installed.
This means that if you have installed 6.0-RELEASE, your version of
sysinstall is looking for the packages that were created at the time
that 6.0-RELEASE was compiled, back in the fall.  Most likely, at that
time, the lastest BIND was 9.3.1.  You can use some obscure part
of sysinstall to set this variable to "ANY" and perhaps get a newer
list of packages.

It may also be possible to get a later package simply with:

    $pkg_add -r bind9

If you have the ports tree installed AND up to date, then:

   $cd /usr/ports/dns/bind9
   $make install clean

will absolutely get you the latest version of the port.

For more help on installing ports/packages, see handbook chapter 4.

For more help on "the latest and greatest", see "The Cutting Edge",
handbook chapter 20.

Best of luck with FreeBSD!

Kevin Kinsey

<<top-posting comment snipped>>  ;-)

--
In 1869 the waffle iron was invented for people who had wrinkled
waffles.