Date:      Wed, 21 Jul 1999 13:13:57 PDT
From:      "Barbara Scott" <barbls@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Questions

To whom it may concern:

I just installed 3.2 on my Pentium 120 Mhz machine at home.  I've been a
UNIX user for many years and I was pleasantly surprised by how
straightforward the initial installation was, even with the shared OS
installation.  I have a 1.2 Gig Hard Drive and have set up the PC for 500 MB
and the UNIX for the rest.

Two problems have developed:

1) I tried to configure a Belkin 3-button mouse that is supposed to function
like a Logitech mouse.  I tried all the UNIX configurations available using
the sysinstall tool, both with the PC and MS modes available on the mouse
itself.  Nothing worked.  Any suggestions?

2) I installed FreeBSD's 'User' package and then attempted to set up the
'sample desktop' as described on p. 315.  When I found the script was
non-executable on the CDROM, I copied it into the /bin directory and began
the installation.  It was able to install bash, emacs, less, xpm and fvwm,
but not netscape or xearth, (verified through pkg_info).  An error message
appeared that stated that there were no aout libs and that the compat22
distribution needed to be installed.  When I attempted that, I got a message
that the write failed and that the file system was full!  This seemed very
strange as I had set up the partition map for the UNIX slices as 40 MB for
/, 180 MB for swap and 500 for /usr.  I had requested the GNOME desktop
environment during the initial installation, along with the DES security
package.

The following is output for uname -a, df and du.

uname -a
FreeBSD myname.my.domain 3.2-RELEASE FreeBSD 3.2-RELEASE #0: Tue May 18
04:05:08 GMT 1999 jkh@cathair:/usr/src/sys/compile/GENERIC i386

df
Filesystem        1K-Blocks   Used    Avail   Capacity   Mounted On
/dev/wd0s2a       39647       20628   15848      57%         /
/dev/wd0s2e       498703      364581  94228      79%         /usr
procfs            4           4       0         100%         /proc

du
282     ./GNUstep/Library/AfterStep/non-configurable
283     ./GNUstep/Library/AfterStep
284     ./GNUstep/Library
285     ./GNUstep
1       ./.gnome/accels
3       ./.gnome
1       ./.gnome-private
298     .

How is it that I cannot install the compat22 package?  Why is the procfs
slice full and what can I do about it?  Is there another way I should have
installed the 'sample desktop'?

I look forward to hearing from you and moving onward to learn more about
FreeBSD!

Sincerely,

Barbara Scott (barbls@hotmail.com)