Date:      Wed, 17 Dec 2003 11:17:00 +0100 (CET)
From:      Michal Mertl <mime@traveller.cz>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   file descriptor leak in 5.2-RC

For several weeks now I see my -current (now RELENG_5_2 to help test the
release) machine seems to be leaking file descriptors. After some time all
files (up to kern.maxfiles) are consumed.

I installed new kernel and world yesterday and the problem stil persists.
The machine is used as my workstation - it's running X, fvwm2, Apache
and Mozilla.

After reboot yesterday I had about 120 files open (as seen in sysctl
kern.openfiles). After 11 hours on inactivity (I was at home), the
system had ~400 files open. Shutdown to singlemode reduces the number only
a little (by ~100).

On another machine acting as a server (no X, no threading applications) I
don't see the problem. I've got /etc/libmap.conf set-up for libkse.

--
Michal Mertl