Date:      Wed, 4 Jun 2008 17:16:52 -0600
From:      kevin kempter <kevin@kevinkempterllc.com>
To:        Manolis Kiagias <sonicy@otenet.gr>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Vmware/Xorg blues (was: Re: freeBSD7 in a vm (vmware fusion) - Shared object "lib.so.6" not found)

On Jun 4, 2008, at 11:04 AM, Manolis Kiagias wrote:

> kevin kempter wrote:
>> Hi All;
>>
>> This seems to be more of a lib not found than a vm issue:
>>

>> I've done this:
>>
>> 1) installed freeBSD 7 in vmware fusion (v 1.1.3)
>>
>> 2) selected to install vmware tools from the menu
>>
>> 3) logged into the console as root
>>
>> 4) mounted the vmware virtual cd
>>
>> 5) copied the vmware tools tar.gz file to /tmp
>>
>> 6) expanded the vmware tools tar.gz file in /tmp
>>
>> 7) cd to the new vmware-toold-distrib dir and ran ./vmware-install.pl
>>
>> Then I get this:
>>

>> Before running VMware Tools for the first time you need to
>> configure it by invoking the following command: "/usr/local/bin/
>> vmware-config-tools.pl". Do you want this program to invoke the
>> command for you now? [yes]
>>

>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>
>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>
>> /usr/libexec/ld-elf.so.1: Shared object "lib.so.6" not found,
>> required by "vmware-checkvm"
>>
>> This configuration program is to be executed in a virtual machine.
>>

>> Execution aborted.
>>

>> I also tried starting KDE and in a Konsole terminal window (as
>> root) running /usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl  and I get the
>> same results
>>

>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>>

>> Thanks in advance...
>>

> Funny thing, I was doing the same steps today in vmware
> workstation ;) Had the same problems, and the following is the
> solution:
>
> Install the compat6x port. Seems the vmware tools are for the 6.X
> version of FreeBSD, not native 7.
>
> As root:
>
> cd /usr/ports/misc/compat6x
> make install clean
>
> Also, create the following symbolic link (This is where vmware
> searches for the library):
>
> ln -s /usr/local/lib/compat/libc.so.6    /lib

Thanks for the advice, this allowed me to install the vmware tools.

I had the vm in such a state that I thought it best to start from
scratch, so I did the following:

1) installed freeBSD7 into a new VM
2) Followed the steps above to install the compat6x lib and created
the link to /lib
3) installed the vmware-tools
4) ran the vmware-config (/usr/local/bin/vmware-config-tools.pl)
5) installed kde via pkg_add -r kde
6) created a .xinitrc for root like this:
     echo "exec startkde" > ~/.xinitrc
7) tried to start kde by running startx and I get an error that the
driver "vmware" in the xorg config file does not exist.

I've attached the log from my attempt to start kde (Xorg.0.log) -
from /var/log
and my xorg.conf file (from /etc/X11)

Thanks in advance for any help...

/Kevin