Date:      Wed, 10 Nov 2004 20:41:47 -0500
From:      "Alexandre \"Sunny\" Kovalenko" <Alex.Kovalenko@verizon.net>
To:        Gordon Bergling <gbergling@0xfce3.net>
Cc:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: acpi problems and "stray irq6"

On Wed, 2004-11-10 at 13:54, Gordon Bergling wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> first sorry for cross posting. I wasn't sure where I should post these
> questions.
>
> I have a new notebook. Its a Fujitsu-Siemens Amilo A 7640. Hardware,
> if that matters, is an AMD Athlon XP 3000+, SiS (somewhat) Chipset
> and 512MB Ram.
>
> This notebook is running a recent 5-STABLE from a few minutes ago. The
> bios version of the notebook should be the newest. Its dated on
> 09/17/2004.
>
> At first there is a problem regarding the speed managment of the cpu.
> Normally and acpi managed cpu should be controlable of the
> "hw.acpi.cpu.throttle_state" sysctl. This sysctl doesn't exist. Without
> this capability the cpu is all the time running at ~ 800 MHz, which
> makes build world not really fast. ;)
>
> Has anyone an idea how I could enable this feature?
>
> The second problem is that I get these messages short after the boot:
> 'stray irq6' and 'stray irq1'. I had read in the FAQ thats this should't
> be a problem, but based on "vmstat -i" the notebook hasn't an device on
> irq 6. Thats curious I think.
>
> The dmesg (normal + verbose), the acpidump and the printed hw.acpi tree
> can be found at http://www.0xfce3.net/notebook/ .
>
> If I could provide more information please let me know. I am very
> willing to test patches. ;)
>
> best regards,
>
> 	Gordon
I would have to believe that "throttle" only works on Pentium chips. I
am using 'powernow_k7' loadable module on my Athlon XP-M and that works
excellent. You should be able to google for it, that way you:

-- would have most recent version
-- would know that I did not provide you with Trojan horse ;)

HTH,
Alexandre "Sunny" Kovalenko.