Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 22:11:19 +0100
From:      Hans Nieser <h.nieser@xs4all.nl>
To:        Mike Hernandez <sequethin@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Does FreeBSD 6.0 fully support PCI-Express?

Mike Hernandez wrote:
> On  Tue, Nov 22, 2005 at 07:01:31AM -0800, Micah wrote:
>
>>Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:
>>
>>>As far as I know Nvidia hasn't allowed Xorg to write drivers
>>>for their cards, all the nvidia drivers out there are
>>>binaries from Nvidia.  This for me would cross that card
>>>off my list.
>>
>>Just to correct this bit of mis-information, there are two drivers
>>available for nvidia.  The nv driver is an open source driver provided
>>by xorg, and the nvidia driver is a closed source driver provided by nvidia.
>>

> And the nvidia driver is in the ports tree, and works just fine.
> Just watch out if you're messing with the composite extension, glx, etc.
> I've been using it with my GeForce 6800 Pci-X card for months now with
> no problems (of course the composite stuff is still a bit flaky but
> it's still new).

I have no choice but to use the closed nvidia driver, because when I use
the "nv" driver, Xorg tends to freeze after a few minutes.

Mike, out of curiousity, when you say that you have been using your card
without troubles, do you actually mean it performs well too? Because I
just installed Xorg+Gnome on my Dell Inspiron 510m laptop (equipped with a
Pentium M 1.7GHz / 512 MB RAM / Intel i810 855GM graphics chip), and it
depresses me to see that it greatly outperforms my desktop machine even in
2D. Things like dragging and resizing windows and the text rendering in
gnome-terminal is clearly a lot smoother. ;(