Date:      Mon, 7 Feb 2005 14:57:15 -0500
From:      Louis LeBlanc <FreeBSD@keyslapper.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Electricity bill [was: Re: Leaving a Computer Running ?]

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

On 02/07/05 09:21 AM, Svein Halvor Halvorsen sat at the `puter and typed:
>=20
> * Erik Trulsson [2005-02-05 23:55 +0100]
> >  Also keep in mind that if you leave the computer running all the time
> >  it will show up on your electricity bill, so if you wish to save power
> >  you should shut down your computer over night.
>=20
>=20
> Given that your house needs to be warmed up (a presumption I think is=20
> correct for Sweden as you appears to be sending from; it sure does for=20
> Norway, I don't know about the OP), it does not matter where that heat=20
> comes from. If your other heating is termostatically controlled, then=20
> running your computer all night long uses no less electricity than leavin=
g=20
> your heating on. Eventually, all those kWhs ends up as heat. You might=20
> just as well use it for something usefull in the way from electric to=20
> thermic energy, and not just send your electrons through an electric=20
> resistance for nothing (except heat-generation)!
>=20
>=20
> (Of course this argument is not valid if you need to cool your house, or=
=20
> if you use radiators, water-born heating, a wood-burning stove or=20
> something else other than electricity to warm up your house)

I'm coming into this thread a bit late, but if you go to
http://www.energyfederation.org/consumer/default.php

On the left nav frame, go to Products / Meters & Monitors /
Electricity Meters / P3 Kill a WATT

You'll see a neat little gadget that will tell you exactly what your
computers electrical usage is.  It should be pretty easy to match up
with your electric bill and see what the cost would be.  This unit is
designed for the US power grid, but I'm sure a little googling will
give you an idea what to expect for Europe and other parts of the
planet.

BTW, I have my primary system up 24/7.  My last machine, which was an
older Dell Optiplex G1 to begin with, ran almost nonstop for nearly 3
years.  Only reboots were for upgrades and loss of power.  Other
machines are typically delegated to hibernation when not needed.

HTH

Lou
--=20
Louis LeBlanc                          FreeBSD-at-keyslapper-DOT-net
Fully Funded Hobbyist,                   KeySlapper Extrordinaire :)
Key fingerprint =3D C5E7 4762 F071 CE3B ED51  4FB8 AF85 A2FE 80C8 D9A2

Heisenberg may have been here.

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh

--NzB8fVQJ5HfG6fxh--