Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 2002 18:14:33 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@yogotech.com>
To:        Luigi Rizzo <rizzo@icir.org>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: proposed code: automatic setting of hostname from MAC address

> as part of the PicoBSD "rc" scripts, there is some code which
> determines the hostname (and IP) of a box from the MAC address
> of the first ethernet interface, using /etc/hosts
> as a database of known machines. The relevant code is in
>
> 	src/release/picobsd/floppy.tree/etc/rc.conf.defaults

For what it's worth, I think this code is of little value (and I use
PicoBSD) code.  Can you explain why you believe this code is of more
value than simply configuring the interfaces based on their order?

> I was wondering whether, with the necessary modifications (see
> NOTES), there is interest in merging this feature into the standard
> startup scripts. For PicoBSD the usefulness is obvious -- being
> images often resident on removable media, this lets you use the
> exact same image for different machines.

How so vs. the standard way of just configuring an interface?

> I have other setups where this can be useful, e.g. I often use disks
> on removable frames and move them back and forth across different
> machines; or, for some centrally-administered configurations, this
> mechanism can also be very useful, as it permits to centralise the
> configuration to one or two files (rc.conf plus the database of
> MAC<->hostnames).
>
> Comments ?

In my opinion, it's less flexible than the current scheme of

ifconfig_ed0="inet 192.168.0.1/24"
ifconfig_fxp0="inet 192.168.0.1/24"

Or whatever in /etc/rc.conf.  You're setup requires a very non-standard
configuration file of /etc/hosts, which is still a custom configuration
file, vs. the standard customized file in /etc/rc.conf.

Nate