Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 12:18:41 -0400
From:      Mark Conway Wirt <mark@intrepid.net>
To:        Bryan Bunch <bryanb@walls-media.com>, "Mike Avery (on the road)" <mavery@mail.otherwhen.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: why not uucp, instead of smtp and static ip?

On Fri, Jun 25, 1999 at 09:48:46AM -0500, Bryan Bunch wrote:

>  We currently use ETRN to handle e-mail for customers who use dialup
> and want to manage their own e-mail accounts. The short of it is
> this, you set up your mail server so that their mail is queued on
> your mail server. When thet get back online, the exchange server
> initiates ETRN and asks your mail server for the queued mail. We do
> not have to deal with any static IP's for these customers.

A vanilla implementation of ETRN will only trigger the delivery of the
mail.  It then consults DNS to see where is is delivered.  Maybe
they've improved the implementation in Exchange or Notes (or sendmail,
for that matter) recently, but in the past a static IP was required
because sendmail would automatically query DNS to find the highest
preference MX server.

--Mark