Date:      Tue, 20 Aug 2002 08:39:11 -0700
From:      Seth Murray <smurray@comboard.com>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk
Subject:   Re: Now problem with time/date and server stability, was problem with time zone adjustment (FBSD4.6)

On Monday, August 19, 2002, at 05:10 AM, questions-digest wrote:

> Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 09:14:58 +0100
> From: Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
> Subject: Re: Problem with time zone adjustment (FBSD4.6)
>
> On Sun, Aug 18, 2002 at 10:55:07PM -0700, Seth Murray wrote:
>> Just installed 4.6 on a new server. CMOS clock is set to UTC. I am in
>> Pacific Time zone, so should be 7 hours behind, but tzsetup adjusted
>> local
>> time to show 7 hours AHEAD of UTC.
>
> Hmmm... Seems like your clock is on holiday in Perth, Australia.  So,
> how does the output of
>
>    date
>    date -u
>
> compare with your wall clock time?  Is the timezone given in the first
> command "PDT"?  Does:
>
>    setenv TZ "America/Los_Angeles"
>
> make things more sane?
>
> 	Cheers,
>
> 	Matthew
>
> - --
> Dr Matthew J Seaman MA, D.Phil.                       26 The Paddocks
>                                                       Savill Way
> Tel: +44 1628 476614                                  Marlow
> Fax: +44 0870 0522645                                 Bucks., SL7 1TH UK

It is showing 'PDT' when asked for 'date.' This may be related to a
strange spontaneous rebooting that is going on. For example, last night I
set the date/time using 'date -u' to the correct UTC time. It set
correctly.

This morning, when I arrived at the computer at ~7:55 AM PDT, it appeared
to have restarted just a few minutes earlier. It also now showed the time
as about 00:33 PDT. The CMOS time remained stable and is still set to UTC.
  It isn't cleaning up lockfiles from the previous session, and so has a
little difficulty on the new startup. I haven't any cron scripts running
(that I'm aware of) that would do this. Just built the entire system a
couple days ago.

Running FreeBSD 4.6. Have installed Apache mod_ssl (current), mod_php
(current), postgresql (current). Running on a dual AMD TYAN S2462 board.
New RAM, power supply, everything.

Any thoughts where to begin looking to find the culprit?

Thanks,
SHM