Date:      Fri, 27 Apr 2001 15:57:25 -0700
From:      Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
To:        Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trouble with 4.3-RELEASE compiler

please don't cc both hackers and stable lists.

* Joao Carlos Mendes Luis <jonny@jonny.eng.br> [010427 15:41] wrote:
> Hi,
>
>     I was installing a squid server with 4.3-RELEASE, and found that
> FreeBSD has now a bug in the compiler that affects squid.  The default
> compilation of squid is with CFLAGS=-g -O2 -Wall, and this setup
> triggers the bug.
>
>     I've left a trimmed down copy of the problem files at
> ftp://ftp.jonny.eng.br/hidden/jonny/trouble.tgz, compile it with
> gcc -g -O2 -Wall teste.c rfc1035.c, and see the bug happening.  Remove
> the -O2 or change it for -O, and see it going away.
>
>     Should this be a reason to roll back the compiler to version
> 2.95.2, as it was before Tue Apr 10 19:23:19 2001 UTC, when it
> changed to 2.95.3?  What to do with the upcoming CDs?

As far as I know FreeBSD doesn't support nor recommened compiling
things (especially large mission critical programs) with anything
higher than -O.

The reason I'm cc'ing -ports is because I notice an inordinate amount
of ports that compile C and C++ things using crazy optimizations like
-O3 or -O2 along with sometimes silly things like -m486.

Is there a guidline to encourage turning down optimization to
something safer for our ported applications?

--
-Alfred Perlstein - [alfred@freebsd.org]
http://www.egr.unlv.edu/~slumos/on-netbsd.html