Date:      Thu, 28 Aug 1997 14:36:09 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "M. L. Dodson" <bdodson@beowulf.utmb.edu>
To:        molter@logic.it
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: installation

> On Thu, 28 Aug 1997, M. L. Dodson wrote:
>
> [...]
> > I know you are used to Win95 holding your hand, but please try to
> > press the "Return" (may be labeled "<-| Enter") key about every
> > 65-70 characters or so.  The people who can help you already run
> > some flavor of Unix, and the news readers there don't wrap the
> > lines like the products from Redmond do.  We like to control our
> > own computers, not have Bill Gates do it for us.
>
> ;-)
>
> Have you ever tried Par, a filter for reformatting paragraphs ?
> You can find it in the ports.
>
> Marco

Actually, emacs does just fine ;-)  The point I was making was that
when confronted with 2+ screenfulls of nonwrapped lines, especially
with no paragraphing, most people just hit the "delete" key without
bothering to read it.  I'm including myself; I don't know why I
bothered with that one.

The problem is mostly the windows mailers, I believe.  The message
probably looks fine on people's Windows screen.  They don't
realize that the line wrapping and paragraph separation conventions
in Windows are totally different from those in Unix.  It's only
when WE see it that it looks like a dense forest.  Going the other
way should not be a problem at all.  Then when you
get one of these jockeys that thinks it is "kool" to not use any
capitalization it really becomes totally unreadable!

Bud

--
M. L. Dodson                                bdodson@scms.utmb.edu
409-772-2178                                FAX: 409-772-1790