Date:      Tue, 16 Dec 2014 10:48:42 +0100
From:      Mathieu Arnold <mat@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Discrepancy in postgresql entry in UPDATING

+--On 15 d=C3=A9cembre 2014 17:41:30 -0800 Darren Pilgrim
<list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com> wrote:
| The entry reads:
|=20
| 20141208:
|    AFFECTS: users of databases/postgresql??-(server|client)
|    AUTHOR: marino@FreeBSD.org
|=20
|    PostgreSQL version 9.3 is now the default. To upgrade from a version
|    lower than 9.3, follow the instructions on the PostgreSQL.org website.
|    http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/interactive/upgrading.html
|    Please note that the pg_upgrade program is installed by the
|    databases/postgresql93-contrib port
|=20
|    When using binary packages, if you only use the client port, you can
|    issue the following command to follow the default version:
|=20
|    # pkg set -o
| databases/postgresql92-client:databases/postgresql93-client
|=20
| The problem is pg_upgrade requires both the old and new versions be
| installed concurrently--something pkg/ports can't do.  So how are we
| supposed to upgrade?

You don't *need* both to be installed, you only really need the postgres
binary for the old version.  What I usually do is:

pkg fetch postgresqlOLD-server
cd /tmp
tar xf /var/cache/pkg/postgresqlOLD-server* -s ,^,pg/,

and run pg_upgrade with the old postgresql being in /tmp/pg/usr/local/bin.

--=20
Mathieu Arnold