Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 2002 23:47:03 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Doug Barton <DougB@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Cc:        mark@thuvia.demon.co.uk, <arch@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Package system flaws?

As much as I love zip, it's probably not appropriate for compressing the
binary packages we actually distribute. I did a quick test with zip vs.
bzip2, both on max compression, and the bzip'ed tarball was 40% smaller
than the .zip file. Not only is bandwidth an issue for our users, but
there is currently a problem just pushing the packages from the cluster
out to ftp-master. Not to mention pushing them around to the mirrors.

One of the reasons I suggested the "compress the binaries, then compress
the metadata plus binary tarball" method is that it is more space
efficient.

I think that we should start asking the questions about how we can end up
with the smallest packages, then go backwards from there to decide how to
beat that format into doing what we want.

Doug