Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 18:33:34 +1100
From:      Bruce Evans <bde@zeta.org.au>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, tlambert@primenet.com
Cc:        fs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ufs slowness

>> >I'd say the *vast* majority of time spent is in directory operations,
>> >rather than actual file data reading (ie: I think the hit from going
>> >to indirect blocks in FFS is small).
>>
>> I agree.  Perhaps it's just ext2fs hanging on to directory blocks better.
>
>Maybe.  I don't see how, though.

It has its own little cache for bitmap and inode blocks.  I would have
thought that this was usually a pessimization, but perhaps it prevents
thrashing in this particular test.

>> >I'm also betting that you created the ext2fs by tarring up the
>> >FFS and untarring it onto the ext2fs.  Do the same to recreate an
>>
>> I actually used `cp -pR' from ext2fs to ufs.
>
>I think you'll find that this is the culprit.

Don't think so.  The directories are fairly small and should stay in
a cache.

>You should do an "ls -fF" in a couple of equivalent directories and
>see the ordering of directories vs. files for thiose directories which
>contain both.  You should find that they aren't identical.

cp -pR doesn't quite preserve the order.  I would have thought it uses
the order reaterned by readdir().

After copying from ext2fs to ffs using two tars in a pipe, ffs is exactly
as slow as before, although I've disturbed the ffs partition a little
by building a world in it (it grew from 53% full to 66% full).

Bruce