Date:      Sun, 10 Jun 2001 19:05:44 +0300
From:      Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>
To:        TimurLenk <timur@euronet.nl>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A new beginner

On Sun, Jun 10, 2001 at 12:39:50AM +0200, TimurLenk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since 2 months I am working with Linux Suse 7.1 and hade some basic training
> on Unix. I really want to learn more about FreeBSD. Maybe one of you guys
> know where people who are just learning Unix Freebsd can go to a newsgroup
> or to some sites for beginners.  PEOPLE LIKE ME WHERE THEY CAN ASK OR FIND
> FOR INFORMATIONS WHEN THEY HAVE PROBLEMS.
> I AM FROM HOLLAND AND IF YOU KNOW PEOPLE IN HOLLAND THE KNOW VERY VERY VERY
> WELL WITH FREEBSD, PLEASE GIVE ME THE EMAIL OR THE SITE OF THAT
> ORGANIZATION.

On the www.freebsd.org site you will find links to the FreeBSD user groups
around the globe.  At least one of them is bound to be near you.  See if they
have a web page up.  If they organize meetings, or something.  Get in contact
with some of the local group members.

Now, for the not-so-social part of it.  Get yourself a copy of FreeBSD.  More
often than not, if you find people from a local FreeBSD user group they will
be more than willing to provide you with instructions on getting a copy for
yourself, or even give you one for free.

Try reading the handbook at <http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/index.html>.
Try installing FreeBSD.  Keep notes of what you find difficult, or somewhat
hard to understand.

You can always come back to this list for questions.  Be careful enough to
note though that asking vague questions such as "I can't install
FreeBSD. What's wrong?" might get you nowhere.  You have to be a bit more
specific on what you tried, what you wanted to do, and what went wrong.

Welcome to FreeBSD :)

-giorgos