Date:      Tue, 7 May 2002 14:22:44 -0400 (EDT)
From:      John Mills <jmmills@telocity.com>
To:        Nathan Kinkade <nkinkade@dsl-only.com>
Cc:        Mozgi_na_stene <mozgi_na_stene@xakep.ru>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ~ help me ~

Hello -

On Tue, 7 May 2002, Nathan Kinkade wrote:

> On Tue, 7 May 2002 16:27:54 +0400
> Mozgi_na_stene <mozgi_na_stene@xakep.ru> wrote:
>
> > At me FreeBSD 4.4-RELEASE. I want to prepare a diskette for work:
> > 1) fdformat fd0
> > All is normal
> > 2) I create on a flexible disk /dev/fd0 file system Linux - mkfs -t
> > ext2 /dev/fd0 I press ENTER, message, that such team (mkfs) IS NOT
> > PRESENT! As it is possible to prepare a diskette for work or how to
> > establish mkfs.

> 'mkfs' is not a freebsd utility - at least not that I know of.  'newfs'
> is the FreeBSD utility for creating new filesystems.  However, 'newfs'
> creates ufs filesystems.  Take a look at e2fsprogs in the ports
> collection if you need to make ext2 filesystems.

I looked into the .config (kernel+module 'build' configuration) on our
RH-7.2 installation, and 'ufs' is an available filesystem type, as are
'bfs' ("SCO bfs") and 'sysv'. (Actually there are a number; see 'man
mount' on a LInux box.)

That said, I would only expect a few of the most common types to have been
built - ext2, msdos, vfat, and ext3 would be a reasonable selection for
many people. You may have to configure and build a Linux kernel supporting
[say] 'ufs', then you would format the diskette ('fdformat') and use
 "# mkfs -t ufs <special_device>" to create the filesystem.

Or, use 'newfs' in FreeBSD and "# mount -t ufs ..." to mount the diskette
in Linux.

DISCLAIMER: I haven't used all these types. I an not a Linux configuration
expert, and don't even play one on TV (but I do configure and build
kernels sometimes).

 - John Mills