Date:      Tue, 13 May 2003 09:48:26 -0400
From:      Jonathan Arnold <jdarnold@buddydog.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Pings

I'm am getting regular, 1 second pings from an IP run by a South
African ISP. If it wasn't for my DSL modem blinking right in front
of me like a metronome, I probably wouldn't even notice it. And
by using Ethereal (a packet sniffer) I can see the regular Pings
coming in from there, although it recently changed IP address
slightly.

Now, it isn't enough to even remotely qualify as a DOS attack. It
is merely one ping every second, sort of like checking to see if
I'm still up. But nonetheless, it is annoying. I was wondering if
anyone had any ideas what they might be up to? I've reported it
to abuse on both my ISP and the controlling ISP, and it is slowly
working its way through to resolution, but I'm still curious.

--
Jonathan Arnold     (mailto:jdarnold@buddydog.org)
Amazing Developments       http://www.buddydog.org

It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.
It's what you know for sure that just ain't so.  Mark Twain