Date:      Wed, 12 May 2010 00:38:13 +0200
From:      Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org>
To:        "Alexander V. Ribchansky" <shurik@zk.informjust.ua>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Freebsd 8.0 kmem map too small

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj

On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 04:43:59PM +0300, Alexander V. Ribchansky wrote:
> As Artem advised, I comment out
>=20
> CFLAGS+=3D-DZIO_USE_UMA in sys/modules/zfs/Makefile
>=20
> and things like to be "back in USSR :)" if seriously - all become as good=
=20
> as before 18.04.2010 mega ZFS-MFC.
> While with UMA, Wired memory constantly grow up to kmem_max limit and tha=
n=20
> PANIC! :(, without it, Wired is approx 380 - 450M on typical 8-STABLE KDE=
3=20
> desktop with plain ZFS.
> So or there is something wrong with my (and many many other's people's)=
=20
> hands or UMA broke ZFS at all.
>=20
> Thank you, Artem for hint! I already start to think, that revert to=20
> pre-18.04.2010 8-STABLE is the only solution.

Could you try the following patch without disabling UMA?

	http://people.freebsd.org/~pjd/patches/vfs_subr.c.7.patch

It works quite well for me.

Also we still don't have back-pressure mechanism when arc_meta_limit is
exceeded. OpenSolaris frees namecache entires then and we currently do
nothing. I'll experiment with a bit and let you know if the patch above
doesn't fix your problem still.

--=20
pjd@FreeBSD.org                           http://www.FreeBSD.org

--O5XBE6gyVG5Rl6Rj